It is that time of year again…
It is a rite of spring for me, and should be for you too. Check and test the UPS batteries and power protection for the computer systems. Especially on a day like today when severe storms are forecast.
When lightning and wind break power lines the results can be devastating to your sensitive computer equipment.
Surges and voltage spikes can ruin your computer’s power supplies, network switches and network interface cards. The downtime can persist well past the blackout IF you’re unprepared.
Here are some recommendations from the pros that will keep your expensive IT equipment safe.
1) Make sure your battery backup units are in good working order.
2) Be certain the proper management software for your battery unit is installed and running on your servers/computers and that the battery units and software are properly communicating with one another via the data cable(s).
3) Be sure you have enough run time in your battery unit to allow your computer systems to safely shut themselves down during a power outage.
4) Invest in surge protection for your network switches and routers. Voltage spikes can travel through network lines and damage network cards as well as power supplies.
5) Keep a spare network switch around. They are cheap and can save the day if you lose one to a power spike.
The pros at CARISMA can help you with any / all of these recommendations and more. Best of Bucks 2014 for Computer Repair / Network Support. Give us a ring at 215-CARISMA or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.